Wednesday, November 23, 2011

There I went again.

So I didn't manage to sustain the weekly updates of this blog that I'd hoped for back when I wrote the first two articles.  Part of my problem is probably that I was holding myself to too high a standard for the posts.  Much as I'd really like to be able to write lengthy, intellectual essays like the previous two on a weekly schedule, I'm forced to admit that my pool of insight probably isn't deep enough to reach that level of quality so often.  And I'm not to the point that I want to just fake it like a newspaper columnist when I can't actually think of anything good.

But I do want to maintain the blog, even if it never becomes anything more than a vanity exercise.  It's at least a fun vanity exercise.  So what I think I need to do is convince myself that it's acceptable to post shorter, less profound entries, like more superficial commentary and humor.  Such writing may not be quite as satisfying, but if it helps to keep me active here, it will probably still be worthwhile.  As long as I don't get pretentious and start trying to pad out the simplistic crap to pass off as real essays, then I shouldn't offend my intellectual spirit.

I'm calling it a plan.  Check back next week to see if it crashes and burns, too.

Right, well my original idea was to now transition into a shorter post of the sort that I was just describing.  But instead I'm going to make a fully separate post so I can close this one and give it a lone meta tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment